You’ve perfected your oral health routine but your smile isn’t as bright as you want it to be. If you want whiter teeth, know that it’s about more than brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash. If you want a brighter smile, is professional teeth whitening worth it?
What Causes Teeth Stains?
Anything from medication, to ageing, smoking, and drinking red wine, coffee, and tea can cause teeth stains.
What is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Talk to your dentist about teeth stains and they may recommend:
An In-Practice Treatment
Your dentist will apply a professional grade whitening gel to your teeth when you visit.
A Home Whitening Treatment
This is a less potent whitening gel in a custom tray that your dentist will give you for use at home.
The Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
- Your dentist will check that your teeth and gums are healthy enough for the treatment before you start.
- Professional whitening gels are stronger which usually means faster results. Your teeth will look whiter immediately. Less potent at-home whitening gels may take weeks to make your smile brighter.
How Much Does it Cost?
Have your teeth whitened at the dentist’s office and it can cost anywhere between $300 and $1,800 depending on the procedure. Because teeth whitening is a cosmetic procedure, its not usually covered by dental insurance.
Are There Any Other Options?
If the cost of professional teeth whitening is prohibitively high for you, don’t worry, there are alternatives.
- Professional dental cleaning can reduce and remove stains on your teeth.
- Over-the-counter whitening toothpastes and whitening kits can work. However, if you’re buying a kit, buy from a reputable company. Sometimes, formulas you buy online aren’t safe and can cause tooth pain and sensitivity.
- A Teeth Whitening Pen is an affordable and convenient way to remove stains from your teeth at home.
If you want a brighter smile, the best teeth whitening option for you will depend on your budget and what you want. If you can afford it and you want whiter teeth sooner, professional teeth whitening is your best option. If you have sensitive teeth, your dentist may give you a less potent version of the gel to use at home in a custom whitening tray.
If you are on a budget, over-the-counter whitening products or a teeth whitening pen can work really well.
Are you ready to say hello to the brighter smile you deserve?
For more articles on oral care and the products you need for a healthier smile, check out the rest of our blog.